Friday, January 18, 2008

Ovaries vs. Uterus

Which flavor of feminist are you? Ovarian or Uterine?


The majority of women I know don't identify themselves as a 'feminist'. Yet, by their personal actions & philosophies, they are. (This includes me.) So, why don't I scream my 'feminist' identity from the rooftop? Besides the foot of snow and 0F weather out there? Because the radical idiots have branded 'feminism' as either the Bicycle Riding Fish or else the militant Stay At Home Mom. Those being, respectively, the ovarian and uterine feminists.

Either you've got ovaries and are therefore demanding of concessions to accommodate the eons of being put down by evil misogynist bastards conspiring to maintain their dead white male society ... or else you've got a functioning uterus and demand concessions to accommodate your biologically exalted state upon which the continuation of society rests. As far as I can tell, these two groups for some reason don't like each other:

The Bicycle Riding Fish see the Stay At Home Moms as traitors to The Cause, by returning to their state of subjugated servitude under Man, suborning their inherent abilities for the banality of procreation.

The Moms look down upon the Bicycle Riding Fish as simplistic creatures who have yet to See the Light and choose to exalt in their One True Womanhood, suborning their inherent maternal drive to the mundane of working.

In both cases, there cannot be equality of the sexes. The Fish see men as the perpetrators of all the evil and problems women must deal with today. The Moms see men as necessary to be able to Stay At Home, nonetheless setting them aside as being not completely necessary, since 'mom' is there.

The rest of us women want to simply get on with our lives. Yes, with gratitude to the many women and men who have struggled to give me the right to vote, the ability to be paid without difference to my sex, and to be able to have children and still keep my job.

Equality between the Sexes? Who are you kidding? Hell, there isn't even equality within the Sexes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It very well may be in male self interest to keep women squabbling among themselves, too. If we're "fighting" each other, we're not going after the men and any outmoded attitudes that haven't been changed.

But change does come hard, no matter what. I remember reading an article in "O" magazine by Dr. Phil a couple years ago that announced that men are afraid and that's the reason they act the way they do, especially with women. If I recall correctly, he made no stabs at suggesting help or a resolution for male fear.

Fear has a negative effect on all sorts of things, and I think everyone suffers from it in one way or another whether we're completely aware of it or not. And I'm not talking about the fear that politics nowadays plays on, but a far more personal fear of "will anyone love me?" or "am I OK?" or "am I doing anything right?"

I think social change needs to be as much about addressing those fears (and others) as well as changing attitudes and beliefs. I'm not sure feminism, is any form, has really done a good job of this, and certainly it doesn't appear to have been addressed on the male side either.