Monday, March 24, 2008

New Word(s)

extrinsic allergic alveolitis

The TV show "In the Actor's Studio" ends w/ a standard series of questions to the guest, from 'what's your favorite sound' to 'what's your favorite swear word'. I gave some thought - years ago when I saw it - about what I might consider a favorite word. Interstitial struck me as a really good word. It has a nice sound; it has an intriguing connotations - it isn't one thing, or the other, but some unspecified 'between'.

My occupational medicine professor mentioned extrinsic allergic alveolitis. I have no clue what the hell is means, but it sure sounds good.

So, of course, at this point in writing [I found the word in my notes this afternoon] I became curious about what it really is. I found:

Extrinsic allergic alveolitis is a lung disorder resulting from repeated inhalation of organic dust, usually in a specific occupational setting. In the acute form, respiratory symptoms and fever begin eighteen hours after exposure to the dust. The chronic form is characterized by gradual changes in the lung tissue associated with four years of exposure to the irritant. This may eventually lead to interstitial lung disease.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(laughing) Isn't language fun? My favorite words change often, and right now, I can't remember the most recent, but I've always been extremely fond of....bamboozle.