Thursday, May 29, 2008

Moving Day. - Part 1 and Part 2

8:45 a.m. The moving van just showed up. Gregor going bezerk as Ilse drags him bodily away from the excitement. It’s not as big as Peter imagined. Of course, there’s that English:Metric conversion factor that probably doesn’t translate well.

9:37 a.m. Michael is getting into the swing of his new job: Doorman. P & B are schlepping the first pile of stuff.

9:56 a.m. Am just informed that Michael isn’t a doorman because he isn’t a man. He states that he isn’t a door-boy, either. “I’m just Michael.”

10:48 a.m. The first truck load is leaving. Our neighbors across the hall are equally disappointed in the absence of a functional elevator. Peter hasn’t mentioned it, but I’m pretty sure he’s frustrated at the (lack of) speed.

11:20 a.m. five 12” subs, please

11:55 a.m. subs, pretzels, veggies & beer in fridge. So, does the word pretzel come directly from German, or Yiddish? Inquiring minds want to know.

1:40 p.m. joyous news that the elevator should be repaired by 6. Since Peter’s colleague is going to be here by then, we should be able to actually move the pain-in-the- ... well you get it ... pieces of furniture.

2:30 p.m. Finished registration with the Kinderstube (German pre-school). Michael announced that he wanted to stay. We hope this is still his opinion on Monday.

3:31 p.m. Back to moving.

3:32 p.m. Micha: “I like wenig Arbeit. I don’t like viele Arbeit.” [i.e., “I like little work. I don’t like lots of work.” Out of the mouths of babes.

3:41 p.m. Wow. apparently I forgot to finish the mountain of electronic stuff necessary to start my new job. Wow. like I definitely have lots of time today!

5:24 p.m. truck is full. Waiting for Peter’s co-worker to schlep the stuff off to 16th Ave. Where’s the phone # for Dominos?

5:42 p.m. Alex arrived. Pizza ordered. sigh. I want a nap. Guess I should go finish packing the kitchen.

===

Part 2

5:49 p.m. It’s raining.

7:02 p.m. Dominos! ?? I ordered for 7:30 delivery, didn’t I? well, I guess that’s why the oven has a ‘warm’ setting.

7:15 p.m. “In the Lowery Tunnel. We’ll be home in about 10-15 minutes.”

7:43 p.m. The Crew arrives. Pizza still warm, although 2 pieces of the Brooklyn-style pepperoni are already missing. Yum.

8:20 p.m. Pizza gone. Beer gone. Children totally hyped on adrenalin.

9-ish Oma, kids & I arrive at the New Home. Get the boys settled? Ha. The obsession with Oma seems to evaporate when they are hitting that wall of exhaustion, when Mama returns to her role as Comforter.

9-ish + 10 min. Feet washed. Milk drunk. Giraffe/Llama in hand. Bedtime songs sung (ABC, Froggie Went a’ Courtin’, and Scarborough Fair, by request).

9-ish + 12 min. Unconscious children.

10:57 p.m. Last truck load for the day is empty.

11:33 p.m. Our bed is sort-of-made. Made enough to be warm and off the floor.

11:34 p.m. Good Night, Minneapolis.

I’m going to curl up in the nice warm cocoon of my duvet and read my book until Peter gets back from dropping the truck off at Old Home.

We’ll send invitations to the house warming party. It will be in June, so you have no excuse about the weather. We’ll try to avoid any more tornadoes until then.




NEXT

of course, the elevator was fixed at about 1 a.m.

No comments: