Thursday, May 8, 2008

[movie review] Iron Man


I saw this Tuesday night, following my final presentation. I was going to write a review, only to realize the Kevin had a pretty articulate one. C'est la vie. I'm not from SoCal, so I can't comment on the BK product placement (which was so obvious as to be perhaps intentionally ludicrous?) I would definitely go for In-and-Out waaaay before BK, whether or not I'd been in an Afghani cave for 3 months.

I've never read the comic book, and never been that much into them anyway. This is definitely not the semi-plausible superhero (Batman) nor is it the completely implausible (X-Men). That leaves the techno-superheroes: Spiderman and Iron Man. I'm not sure which I find more implausible. But I must admit a buff Robert Downey Jr. is better eye candy than Toby McGuire. That, of course, could easily lead to a super-hero comparison via the eye-candy factor.

What seemed a bit lurching was the pace of the beginning and end. The beginning is slow, but not unpleasantly ('get to know the cast of characters and understand the hero's tragic flaws'). But it seemed to be rushing towards the end - fast paced action, sure - but this seemed like someone abruptly realized it was already min.120 and counting, and had to hurry to end it.

Downey was spectacular as the nascent superhero, developing the new suit. A childish joy immediately squashed by Newtonian physics. Childish, yet thoroughly amusing consequences (several squashed cars).

p.s. - late addition: Ebert's review is an utterly delightful read. To wit: "The world needs another comic book movie like it needs another Bush administration ..."


Elizabeth’s rating: 2
The special effects are better on the big screen

1 - Go see it on the big screen at full price.
2 - Go see it on the big screen, at matinee prices.
3 - Buy your own on video.
4 - Definitely see it on video.
5 - Well, if someone else it paying for it ...
6 - Go get your teeth cleaned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Robert Downey Jr. is finally getting the recognition he deserves as an actor. He's one of America's best. He even made "Fur" interesting....