Sunday, April 13, 2008

No Free Lunch

Well, so the Red Army - Dead Wings - Red Wings are doing fine in their search for the Stanley Cup. Of all the myriad stupid things that just piss me off recently --- see today's Doonesbury - the self-righteous, sanctimonious, pencil-dicked "Flag-Pin Patriots" just .... ooooooo ...... (pencils .... ?? I've never noticed a woman doing this, though no doubt they are)

sports involving violence are a pleasant respite for vicarious bloodshed

Checking on the day's scores, I noticed a story about the Ducks/Stars (Dorky-Name-Champions vs. What-the-Hell-Was-Minnesota-Thinking-Not-Champions). The commenter has the astonishing observation: "Stars have outplayed the Ducks and deserve to be within two wins of first playoff win in four tries".

There is No Free Lunch. There is no deserve in sports. You win. Or you lose. If you lose, you didn't deserve it.

This is up there with "but mom, I waaaaaant it". So, what's it like to want? I deserve a 4.0 on my grades, don't I? Ain't no way it's going to happen, though, is it?

The Dallas Stars? What was Minnesota thinking? Why can't they ditch the Vikings or Twins? They had a nice thing going with the names. Sell the hockey team to Texas???? Well, then they need a new name for the new, more expensive replacement. Minnesota Wild? When this is the "Etoil du Nord" (land of the north star). The state most assuredly isn't wild. (Unless you count the temperature changes in the Spring or the rates of bovine-TB.) Of course, I have no idea why the Detroit Red Wings got their name, especially since the pottery company here in Red Wing Minnesota has the same basic logo as the hockey team ...??

Ah, well, while I'm not going to get a 4-point, I would still like to not get a 2-point. So, back to the amazing wonders of cut-resistant gloves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea why "Wild" was chosen for the current MN hockey team -- there's probably a story there somewhere -- but I'd guess the Detroit Red Wings might have something to do with red wing blackbirds -- those obnoxious, pesky birds that never know when to leave a party!

So, you have been published online!!!