Thursday, April 3, 2008

The not-so-Great Influenza



"Germs are not for sharing", according to Michael. Got that in one. Gregor's already had the flu, earlier this year. Now I got to join the ranks of stupendously sick people. I might say "I can't remember the last time I was this sick", except I do. 1994. I've spent the past 8 days knocked on my back, wondering how I was going to live through the next few hours. 8 days later, I'm wondering how I'm going to avoid failing all of my classes.

"Mama's asleep" became the most common thing I heard through the bedroom door. If I happened to be awake, which wasn't often. The poor boys (all 3). Today was the first time since last Thursday that I didn't feel like Death warmed over. The 8-day Flu weightloss plan seems to work wonders.

I knew I looked horrible Tuesday, when I had to go to campus to meet a project group, "just long enough to meet them and then leave" I told myself. I hadn't done any studying - and I mean none - for my occupational medicine final exam the next day. The walking zombie started meandering towards the parking area, when I passed my occ. medicine prof. At 10 yards, he took one look at me and said "I don't want to see you tomorrow." I guess having a physician for a prof isn't that bad in identifying "hey, you look dead!"

The boys are all healthy. I'm in the land of the living again. More sooner or later ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may have been the very last person in MN to have the flu! Isn't the season almost over? (smile) Glad to hear you're feeling better -- I hope your profs will be understanding and cut you some slack.