Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Coffee & Dinosaurs

On Sunday after Mass, we were having our (now) usual lunch at the May Day Cafe, about 2 blocks from our house. The "art" exhibit was - thank goodness - being changed. The new one is dinosaur fossils and a couple casts of fossils. I assume the archaeologist didn't want some stupendous find getting dropped on the coffee shop's floor if/when my sons tried to climb up to see it. The other photos are just the kids. Michael has gotten sporadically camera shy. Since I didn't think you needed to see 5 picture of the back of Michael's head, there's only one of him.

Back to getting up at 3:30 a.m. Good night.



Snakes & Snails & Puppy Dog Tails ... and Dirt
That's what little boys are made of















Real fossils





















Cast of a fossil















Same cast, with people for an idea of scale














Michael


















Gregor just being cute













Petting Raven








New favorite stuffed toy (weasel? ferret?) and favorite holy grail (mom's night stand with all that 'hands off stuff')

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting exhibit for a cafe. The boys look adorable and I'm sure they're full of fun and trouble in equal measures.

I've had few times in my life when I needed to get out of bed in the middle of the night, and I consider myself fortunate that I haven't needed to work a night shift. In the hospital recently, I was reminded once again about how surreal the night shift can be, the strange noises, people coming into the room and leaving without explanation, and so on. However, during my first hospitalization 6 years ago I really enjoyed the night shift. It was my favorite time to take walks, and the nurse assistants were interesting people to talk with.

When I was a teen, my family often went to Cape Cod for a week's summer vacation. Then my father got the brilliant idea to vacation on Martha's Vineyard. The ferry ride over was pretty cool. But we made the mistake of going the week before Labor Day. So, we would be leaving on Labor Day, when just about the entire island empties and returns to the mainland. My father made us get up that morning at about 3AM so that we could be first in line to board the ferry. I don't think my parents slept a wink that night because they were afraid we wouldn't get to the ferry in time. We did, though. And yes, we were first in line. My father would have nothing else.