Thursday, October 9, 2008

Nothing special

Here it is, October. School is into 5th out of 16 weeks, just over 1/4 of the way. I'm confronted now with "what the hell are they doing?" The gizmo I need to start my research project isn't here. Unless I become far more efficient than I have managed to achieve in the past 42 years, I doubt it's going to finish before Dec.23 (or whenever the semester is over). The grade for my Spring 'incomplete' class isn't posted yet. Where is it? My "Field Experience" (read: internship) which I did in the Summer is technically happening this semester. Great, 3 credits on my schedule with no work attached. But, what in the world am I supposed to do now about it? Epidemiology turned from 'what's so hard about this?' to 'what the hell is this?' in 1 week. Ethics has nice reading, but none of us can figure out "what are they expecting of us?"

Here it is, October. Halloween is around the corner. Happy Birthday, Brother #2. This is the first time we've lived in a normal house in a normal neighborhood since Jr.Gopher #1 was 7 months old. First trick-or-Treating for both boys. Trick-or-Treating? Ooops, I'd better figure out what to get the boys for a costume. And figure out how to explain the whole thing to him. Jr.Gopher #2 probably won't care.

Here it is, October. Mr.Gopher was working late to submit yet another patent application. This one to the European patent office. I suppose that's good. If Honeywell wants it protected in more than one country, they must figure one of these days they might want to prevent others from using it.


We had some company over for dinner on Saturday. This is the first time I've had to consider a special menu for something other than vegetarians. My friend has some digestive complications that needed soft food, very soft. We had quite a pow-wow about what would be okay. Hmmmm. Mediterranean wound up being the choice: hummus, tzatziki, pita bread, babaganoush, extra cooked rice, and chicken I tried to cook super moist. At least on the last 2, I'm finally getting some milage out of the Angel's wedding present, a really big paella pan. Jr.Gopher #1 chowed down on the babaganoush (basically eggplant puree with garlic) that night, and has refused to eat it since. Jr.Gopher #2 seems to be willing to eat anything other than dessert (unless it's cookies or chocolate bars). The evening was really nice. Aside from pleasant company (and an entire bottle of wine consumed between Mr.Gopher and me - mostly him), I was really happy to be able to cook more than just beans & rice or spaghetti or some other "mix with real food for dinner in less than 30 min."

I just started reading Collapse: how societies choose to fail or succeed, by the author of Guns, Germs, and Steel. Of course, I could just as easily read the news for Collapse: how the economic fucktards in D.C. are choosing to abandon ship.

I'm hoping to upload some of the more recent photos off the camera, so that I can post them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Healthy Gopher didn't like the baba ghanoush either! (laughing) Delicious meal, excellent company....(smile)

STFU & GBTW said...

Interesting book, boring as fuck.