Friday, May 1, 2009

holy cow ...

It's always nice to know one's professional opinion is valued. Sure, the annual "you didn't totally screw up" review from you boss is the ticket to the "oh, well, you can't have one" bonus.

10 Ten best things about swine flu: #1 is from yours truly.

I'm suddenly struck by the fear that someone is going to write MPR and say "what a total screw up, why did you listen to her?" Although one would also hope that they asked someone else before quoting me..... Somehow the idea of telling my employer/employees this pales in comparison to the biggest radio station in the state quoting me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Good job! Now you're famous! Or at least "an expert." How does it feel?

Did they call you or did you respond to a request for info?

Gopher MPH said...

I responded to an inquiry through their Public Insight Journalism program (http://minnesota.publicradio.org/publicinsightjournalism/about/)
. It's set up to elicit/solicit input from the public. You give them your email address and check off a list of topics about which you are particularly knowledgeable or interested. I get emails from them occasionally - about 4 or 5 times in the past year.

This was about, of course, the Virus-Who Shall Not Be Named. I responded and offered my opinion on the topic, suggesting they call 3M for more details or advice.

Thursday afternoon, one of the fellows at MPR who knows me called. (We'd spoken before at an MPR function and he ran the Fantasy Legislature last year). He was looking for specific names over at 3M. Luckily, I was at my classmate's place, and she works for 3M.

The next day, I got an email from the Marketplace people, informing me they used my input. Voila!

I haven't donated money to MPR since starting school. As soon as I graduate, I will again.

As I told him, "if I can't give you my money, at least I can give you my 2 cents."