Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Nepal coffee

We went to The Himalaya for dinner last weekend to celebrate Anniversary 6.1 After seeing Coraline [review to be forthcoming after Finals], we opted for adventure dining. The food was apparently from the Nepalese kitchen. Sort of a mix between China and India, unsurprisingly.

On the appetizer list: dumplings, either steamed or pan-fried. These can be delicious from a good Chinese restaurant. Here, the filling options were: chicken, vegetarian, beef, and yak.

Yak tastes pretty good. A stronger flavor than most beef, but with a more distinct flavor than buffalo. Goat curry was tender and tasty. Too many rib bones, but I like it. The yak meat was better, as far as just the meat goes.

I ordered coffee. More adventure, I didn't ask what "Nepalese Coffee" was.

Strong black coffee, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves & evaporated milk

I experimented with the coffee:
For a small pot (4 8-oz. cups) - I recommend starting with the following ratio & adjust to taste. The cinnamon is the primary flavor, with enough of the others to be sure you notice. They're pretty strong flavors, so don't use them in equal proportions (unless you really really really really like cloves).

large 1/2 t cinnamon
short 1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground cardamom
short 1/8 t cloves

I'm sure you could use cream, rather than evaporated milk - the goal being creamy without diluting the coffee. (note: this is evaporated, not condensed milk!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love adventuresome dining. This place sounded really interesting. Maybe someday when I can eat adventurously again, I can try it out....